Monday, April 28, 2008

My Thoughts on Wisconsin and Minnesota Voters in 2008.

Here's the rub. PA is not a swing state. Either Democrat will win in November. OH and FL are swing states where Clinton runs more favorably than Obama. WI, MN, CO, IA, VA, NC, NV, NH, NM are all swing states where Obama runs better than Clinton in recent polls. Additionally, other polls have shown Obama running competitively in crazy states like MT, AK, NE, and IN (I don't think he'd win these states, but it's weird to think about). To Clinton's credit, she puts WV and AR in play, whereas Obama would get crushed in those states.

Excellent analysis by billysumday commenting at Talking Points Memo. An opinion, but one I agree with. Worth a repeat.

I was raised in Wisconsin and now live in Minnesota. I'm pretty biased in my perceptions, so take this for what it's worth. I can say that there is a lot of diversity in politics in both. Democrats and Republicans have much sway, and there are many variations there of, all over the scale.

Overall it seems like people are frustrated with the war(s), the economy, Bush, and the media. I think the overall frustrations that the nation is experiencing as a whole also lie here. So starting off I think the Democrats have an advantage here.

However, traditional Republicans abound, a few neo-cons, lots of Rush and O'Reilly fans. Many cut from the Lou Dobbs cloth. I think McCain will have a lot of sway as well, and we'd be stupid to underestimate him.

Most of my friends, Wisconsin and Minnesota, are Obama people. A few McCain voters. One outspoken about it to almost a caricature degree, the rest are very quiet about it (kind of weird). There are few, okay one, outspoken Hillary supporter. And the rest, just a few, who just want to vote Democrat, as an anti-Bush or anti-Same vote essentially, and don't care who the nominee is. Yes, they are my less involved friends. However, it's also important to add that they also think this whole campaign season has been inanity.

I think it's important to keep those less involved Democratic voters perspectives in mind, as well. They think all of this bickering is silly and makes the candidates, both of them, look like idiots.

I agree with them.

No comments: