Thursday, April 24, 2008

Death and the Maiden


Ariel Dorfman's play "Death and the Maiden" and the subsequent movie (starring my fav Sigourney Weaver) is an excellent personal look at how torture affects the citizens it is performed on in the long term and how it effects their feelings of justice and country. I think you'll also find that you are unable to pick a side between the two protagonists, you'll be too scared. I think many here feel the same way about this issue. I'd highly recommend a viewing or a reading.

I know it has inspired my outrage at my government's actions and the discouragement I feel every time I think about how my country is doing this. Bush administration=South American military junta, in my book, everytime I think about it.

“What the country needs is justice, but if we can determine at least part of the truth…” – Gerardo (Pg 15).

In the end the play and the movie are ultimately about how we deal with the horrors of our past. Can we forgive what is unforgiveable? A good question, and ultimately, one our whole country will have to ask of itself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Somehow, I haven't seen that yet -- either the play or the film.

The two analogues of that forgiveness process that I think of are Germany and South Africa. And it is a process. South Africa finally established a Truth and Reconciliation Commission that has helped heal them. Germany experienced a long inward look that resulted in a drastic and thoughtful reimagining of what their country was supposed to be.

Now, I don't think that our country's involvement in torture is as big a world event as what happened in either of those countries. That's because I'm in the part of the collective denial as the rest of the country, as it sometimes functions as a last resort. I simply do not know what could possibly change until this administration gets out.

Anyway, I think that until the policy and actions change, there isn't going to be a shred of forgiveness.